In 2005, the vision to build Green House cottages in Sheridan grew out of the wish of Sheridan caregivers who wanted something better for their loved ones. It progressed through a community needs assessment, partnership with the City of Sheridan, and the creation of a nonprofit legal entity called Alternative Elder Living, Inc. (AEL). Sheridan is the first community in the nation to create Green House homes through the will of committed and passionate citizens that believed in the mission:
Creating loving homes where individuals live dignified, fulfilling lives through quality care, personal choice and positive relationships.
Through the generosity of the Sheridan community with donations of over $3,000,000 and a USDA loan of $5.2 million, the four cottages have been built and are a home to many elders.
Alternative Elder Living, Inc. a 501(c )(3) organization dba Green House Living for Sheridan is a part of the national Green House Project. The national movement envisions homes in every community where:
- Elders and others enjoy excellent quality of life and quality of care
- They, their families, and the staff engage in meaningful relationships built on equality, empowerment, and mutual respect
- People want to live and work
- All are protected, sustained, and nurtured without regard to the ability to pay
There are currently Green House homes in 33 states. Go to the www.thegreenhouseproject.org to find Green House homes throughout the U.S.
AEL, Inc. was formed as an umbrella name that could encompass a number of alternative living situations for elders, mainly skilled nursing but in smaller homes where life could be lived meaningfully.
Typically, Green House Project homes have a “mother institution” to provide support and resources. AEL, Inc. provides an avenue for fundraising that provides tax deductions for donations, and income and property tax exemptions. This nonprofit status allows us to focus on investing in quality care in our facility instead of making profits for shareholders.
- Alternative Elder Living, Inc. is also known as AEL, Inc.
- Green House Living for Sheridan is also known as GHLS.
- AEL, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization d/b/a Green House Living for Sheridan.